Tuesday 8 January 2019

Glimpses of the terrain in Aizwal, Mizoram

Mizoram has a terrain like nowhere else in India, beautiful yet dangerous. All of Aizawl, houses, shops, roads, seemed to be delicately hanging on steep slopes. On the last turn, cab veered on a slope at an angle of approximately 75 degrees. It was no joke. The driver stopped mid way, pointed to a house and asked me to get down. .

If I step out of the cab, it is a given that I would tumble down and die!

Politely, when I explained this to the driver, he smiled and drove to a place which was safe enough for me to stand without losing balance. .

Being one of the leading producers of bamboo in India, the houses in Aizawl are built mainly using bamboo, wood and glass. The entire structure, sometimes more than two floors, is balanced skillfully on just bamboo logs. I stayed for 4 days in one such house. Believe me, the fear of a landslide or simply one strong wind breaking one leg of the house was just inescapable.

Photo Credit: Hriatpuia Rokhum
Narration: Divya Soundarajan
Source: @discover.northeast

#Mizoram #NorthEastIndia
#IndianRoadie
#BackpackingIndiaOnRoad
#ShetravelsIndia
#GlobalRoadie

No comments:

Post a Comment