Wednesday 23 October 2019

Life after sunset in Kohima, Nagaland (by Pooja Akula in October 2019)



I (Pooja Akula) am a person who spends a lot of time in finding cozy cafes. After all, they're my work place on the go. But backpacking in the interiors of Assam and Meghalaya had kept me far away from the mere concept of a cafe; for almost two months now!

However, to my surprise, when I got to Kohima in Nagaland, I learnt that the state capital houses a cafe culture. On my random stroll around the market area, I remember spotting 4. This cafe you see in the pictures - Dream Cafe is apparently the oldest one in the city. While others are equally vibrant and nice.

For a change, I was happy to be in a city. I thought I finally didn't have to worry about getting indoors by sunset and could watch this city lit with mountains in its background. But little did I know that even the busiest city of  Nagaland, the capital goes dead by 7 PM.

With disappearing sun, disappear the people. Shops shut down, the streets go silent and I wonder if the locals quietly go back home?  There are a few hawkers selling street food but by 8 PM latest, all their food is over and they're ready to pull bags to get back home too!

I've been travelling across India, been to so many cities. But never have I experienced a city feel so dead post sunset. Anybody else who's been to Kohima and thinks the same?

Text (narrated in the 1st person) and photos courtesy: Pooja Akula (Travel content curator) in October 2019.
.
.
.
* Kohima
* Nagaland
* Shetravels India
* Indian Roadie
* Backpacking India On Road

No comments:

Post a Comment