Monday 7 June 2021

Covaxin 1st dose for wife and me on 2021-04-10











Thank you, Narendra Modi ji 🙏  

My wife joins me in conveying my heartfelt 'pranam' to you. 

Ever since end March 2020, I was scared that I will breathe my last without the luxury of getting shielded from the Chinese virus. 
By the year end you proved me wrong. 
It was because of your leadership and initiative that not one, but two brands of vaccines were introduced in the Indian market. 

As a marketing professional, my next worry was how you and your team would handle the logistics of distribution and administering of the vaccines in a diverse country like India. Even a fortnight before the actual rollout happened, I was mighty scared that if the process of distribution was left to one bloodthirsty and diabolical LADY in West Bengal, I will not get it before the next 13 - 15 years, as per my calculations. 
On 25th February 2021, I heard J.P.Nadda ji announce in Science City, Kolkata that you have taken a decision to open up the vaccination process for all Indians above 60 yrs and also for those between 45 - 59 yrs but having specific co-morbidity issues w.e.f 1st March 2021. 

I could clearly see the light at the end of the tunnel. 
On 1st March 2021 itself, the day online registration started on cowin.gov.in, my wife and I registered ourselves using my smartphone in about 100 seconds only from start to end. 

I am still not 60. Fortunately, neither of us have any health co-morbidity issues. Nevertheless, I was sure that my wife and I will become eligible for the 1st dose of the vaccine by the Diwali of 2021. 
You proved me wrong once again. I let out a shrill cry on that wonderful morning in end March 2021 when I read that your team has decided to throw open the vaccination process for all above 45 yrs of age, irrespective of whether one has any health complications or not w.e.f 1st April 2021. 
I checked out the Cowin website immediately and was delighted to find that we two were still registered on the site. 
1st April came. My wife insisted that we head to any of the private vaccination centers near our place of stay in Kolkata. 
On that particular day, I couldn't take my eyes off the various news channels showing the happenings in Nandigram. More than the virus, the 'vinaash' of the venomous lady was far more important to me. 

Then came 2nd April. 
Sir, let me admit that I am paranoid about getting pierced with that small but scary looking needle.  
However, after waking up from sleep on Saturday, 10th April, I mustered enough courage and headed to the Kolkata unit of a  multi-speciality hospital chain, located off the EM Bypass with my wife. It was 12.45 pm. The vaccination venue resembled any working day in Canning Street in Kolkata. We would have had to wait in a queue with at least 170 people ahead of us waiting under a 'shamiana' for their 1st dose of Covaxin. 
Needless to mention, we beat a hasty retreat. 

We headed straight to Techno India Dama Healthcare and Research Hospital, LB Bock, Salt Lake, on EM Bypass and besides National University of Judicial Sciences. We were just behind 8 people who were there for their 1st dose of Covaxin on payment of ₹250 per head. 

All private healthcare centers in this part of my city were administering Covaxin today. 
Sharp at 2.30 pm on 2021-04-10, a pretty young and professionally adept lady nurse jabbed the syringe 💉 with the 1st dose on my right upper arm while my wife stood clicking photos of the process for the Covaxin vaccine to work on me. 

My wife made it clear to me that she would scream at me if I dared to click her photo while she got pierced. 

The process over, we kept waiting at the adjacent squeaky clean air conditioned waiting room for about 30 minutes before another masked pretty lady arrived to give us some important dos and donts. She also warned us of possibilities of extreme joint pains and high fever lasting for a maximum of 2 days and recommended paracetamol tablets and use of ice packs should the need arise. 
Within 2 - 3 minutes after getting jabbed, I got an SMS confirming that we have indeed received our 1st dose of vaccine and would have to wait for another 28 - 42 days for the 2nd dose. The certificate in .pdf format got generated instantly on the Cowin website. 
For the vaccine to be absolutely effective, we clicked a couple of more photos for your perusal and also for the perusal of my friends. 

Returned home thoroughly satisfied with the experience. And BTW, to commemorate the days sweet experience, bought 1 kg of sweet black grapes 🍇 and a water melon 🍈 weighing 2.5 kgs on the way back. 

After all my eligible Indian Roadie  friends pan-India get jabbed twice and the second wave of Corona presently sweeping India subsides, we should meet up and rejoice. Till such time, please obey the Covid-19 protocols and stay safe with your dear ones. 
Irrespective of whether you have reached the eligible age or not, healthy or co-morbid, vaccinated or not, please start believing that wearing of masks 😷, maintaining hygiene and social distancing 👤✖️👤 are extremely important for the welfare of all. 

If at all you need to travel, please register online and get vaccinated before the rush for getting vaccinated becomes unbearable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment