Wednesday 8 December 2021


Multiple MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamps) lit up in my VW Vento TDi Highline (2011) in Saturday 2021-11-13 at 1.30 pm, near Nicco Park while driving back home from Salt Lake Sec V. 
The check engine light had lit up along with the 'glow plug' light, 'power steering' light, 'battery' light, 'handbrake' light and the 'airbag' light. I wasn't particularly worried about the ABS light glowing because the sensor had conked out about 2 years ago. 
Immediately I had pulled up at the roadside. The engine did not stop. While revving the engine in neutral gear there was no loss of power either. 

After about 10 mins, once again when I started driving, most of the lights switched off, barring the ... 
airbag light, 
check engine light and 
ABS light which kept glowing. 

I drove for about 4 kms at a very slow pace and reached a filling station near my house to get the PUC done. Filled diesel, too. Although I switched off the engine a couple of times at the filling station, there were no difficulties in starting the car. However, every time I started the engine, the airbag light, check engine light and ABS light lit up. 

Reached home at 3.30 pm and switched off the engine to unlock the garage. On trying to restart the engine, the glow plug indicator lamp lit up once again. The engine started momentarily but went limp within 2 - 3 secs. Once the engine went limp, the power window couldn't be rolled up either. 
The same thing happened in 4 - 5 attempts. 

I decided to abort any more experiments. 
At 3.30 pm, With the help of a passerby I managed to push the car inside the covered garage. 
Once inside the garage, I recorded this short video of more weird things that happened for about 30 seconds while the key was in ACC ON position. I also tried to start the engine once more. The engine did start but went limp in 2 - 3 secs as it had happened during the 4 - 5 attempts outside the garage. 

When I was totally fed up, I decided to give a final try to roll up the power window. Surprises of surprises, the window glass rolled up smoothly. 

Water doesn't get into the car engine or the ECU, never ever. Any doubts related to that is ruled out. 

Friends, any matured guesses what could have been the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment