Sunday 30 January 2022

Iconic landmark of Durgapur, the coal gas holder of DPL razed in January 2022


The coal gas holder of the now shut down state owned Durgapur Projects Ltd (DPL) erected during end of 1950s was razed to the ground in end January 2022. 

The structure was an iconic landmark of the industrial city of Durgapur. 

I vividly remember that as a youngster (in 1960s and 1970s) when my parents used to drive us from our hometown in Barakar to my uncle's place in Durgapur (a distance of 45 odd kms) in that miniature rock solid Standard Super 10 Deluxe car 3 - 5 times a year, I used to get excited on spotting the huge structure from the G.T.Road near DVC More. As we would approach Gammon Bridge after turning right from G.T.Road the huge barrel shaped structure would become clearly visible on our right. After crossing Gammon Bridge there was a large circumference roundabout and the roadie in me from a very young age knew that our destination, viz. DN320, Coke Oven Colony was just a couple of minutes away. 

My last visit to the DPL factory where my uncle was serving as an accounts officer was in June 1984 while I was doing my summer internship for Berger Paints India Ltd during my b-school days. 
* IndianRoadieRecollections 
* MemoriesFrom1950sTo1990s
* HowIndiaTravels 
* EventsOfIndia

No comments:

Post a Comment